There are times when one or several AntiVirus (AV) utilities will indicate a file or program contains a virus or is not safe to use. Some AV's will delete files it thinks is affected. While this is great for protection, there are times when an AV will falsely detect a virus or problem.
False positive detections are common in the antivirus industry. They occur when a benign program is wrongfully flagged as malicious due to an overly broad detection signature or algorithm used in an antivirus product. Sometimes false positive detections have serious consequences, like the deletion of critical system files or the blocking of popular websites and when that happens, they are usually reported on technology news sites, blogs and tech support forums.
No product is immune to false positives and there is not a mechanism for software makers, such as CDE Software, to bypass virus scanning. If there was, we could make billions selling that secret to the "bad guys".
If your AV utility is having issues with a CDE Software product, please try the following:
- Update your AntiVirus utility as well as the virus definitions.
- Download and install the latest update to the CDE Software product you are using.
- Report the false positives to your Antivirus maker. Due to the large volume of different AV makers, it's impossible to give a complete list, but here's the common ones:
- Symantec/Norton: https://submit.symantec.com/false_positive/
- Mcafee: Send via email
- F-Secure : https://www.f-secure.com/en/web/labs_global/submit-a-sample
- Kaspersky: Send via email
- Avast: Send via email
- AVG: http://samplesubmit.avg.com/us-en/false-detection
- Bitdefender: http://www.bitdefender.com/site/Main/automaticSampleUploader/
- Comodo: https://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/submit.php
- Nod32/ESET: Send via email
- Panda: Send via email
- Sophos: https://secure2.sophos.com/support/contact-support/sample-submission.aspx
- TrendMicro: http://www.trendmicro.com/us/about-us/detection-reevaluation/index.html
- Vipre: Send via email
- Webroot: https://www.webrootanywhere.com/servicewelcome.asp
- Change the settings in your AntiVirus utility to add the CDE Software product to the exceptions list. Please note that CDE Software can not assist with using your AntiVirus utility. If you are not familiar with how to add program and folder exceptions, please contact the maker of your AntiVirus utility.