To send outgoing email with Gmail:
SMTP Server: smtp.gmail.com
Username: <GMail email address>
Password: <Gmail user password>
Use Advanced Settings to set SMTP Server Port: Yes
SMTP Server Port: 587
Email Server requires SSL and/or TLS Mode: Yes
SSL/TLS Start Mode: Explicit
Important: Gmail has changed its security protocols to allow third party applications to send email. Your GMail account will need to enable the Less Secure Apps option in the Sign-in & security options under your Google account's preferences. If you do not wish to do so, you will need to use a different email provider to send outbound emails from BLS.
Important: If you enabled 2 factor authentication, you may receive an "161: SMTP protocol error. 534 5.7.9 https://support.google.com/mail/?p=InvalidSecondFactorinvalid second factor" message, which means you will need to create an app password to use, per Google's article at https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833
- Go to your Google Account.
- On the left navigation panel, choose Security.
- On the "Signing in to Google" panel, choose App Passwords.
- If you don’t see this option:
- 2-Step Verification is not set up for your account.
- 2-Step Verification is set up for security keys only.
- Your account is through work, school, or other organization.
- You’ve turned on Advanced Protection for your account.
- At the bottom, choose Select app and choose Mail.
- Choose Select device and choose Windows Computer.
- Choose Generate.
- Use the App password as the password in BLS for the email password instead of your normal GMail password. The App Password is the 16-character code in the yellow bar
- Choose Done.
Sometimes clicking the following link on the computer that BLS is installed on will help to authenticate the computer to allow BLS to send email through gmail: https://g.co/allowaccess