We had seen many reports from users who have been using the program successfully with Windows 10, but after an update from Microsoft was installed and the computer restarted, the program no longer starts and a Runtime Error 217 dialog appears.
This has also happened with users using other software products. The cause appears to be Windows "forgetting" what printer is used as a default printer or Microsoft changed the default management of default printers to be Windows.
The resolution is simple by following these steps:
- Click the WINDOWS start icon, usually found in the lower right hand corner of the screen or press the WINDOWS key on your keyboard.
- Select SETTINGS.
- Select DEVICES.
- Select PRINTERS & SETTINGS.
- A list of your printers are displayed. Scroll to the bottom and UNCHECK the option LET WINDOWS MANAGE MY DEFAULT PRINTER.
- Scroll back up and select the printer you want to be the default printer.
- Click the MANAGE button.
- Click SET AS DEFAULT button.
- Close the window. The program should operate now correctly.